Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Team work in the Heaven

Do I believe in God? Yes, of course. And Harini is well fed with stories from Ramayana and Mahabharata and other devotional stories.  She sings Bhajans, Aartis and knows various Shlokas by heart.

One day, as we stood in the terrace watching a heavy downpour, Harini remembered the story of how Lord Krishna had saved the people of Gokul by lifting the Govardhana hill. She said "Amma, Lord Indra is up to his old tricks again". Then all of a sudden, she asked me about the seating arrangements in the Heaven. She wanted to know if all the Gods sat together or did they have different rooms or palaces. "Is it possible for Indra to share his room with Lord Agni?", she wondered.

Why didn't I get such questions clarified when I was little? :-(

Anyways, I told her that what was more important was to understand that we should respect nature's elements like water, fire etc. And maybe having separate gods for each element was to make people respect them and not take them for granted. I told her I imagined them to have their own palaces. She was convinced and did not probe further.

But, a few days back, we started reading "Sophie's world" by Jostein Gaarder. I initially thought it was a book for kids. However, it turned out to be a book on philosophy. Harini thoroughly enjoyed the book and said she wanted to be a philosopher on growing up. But when we reached a point in the story, where some myths related to Greek Gods are discussed and proved to be a myth, I stopped reading it with Harini. I am reading it alone though.

I am really confused. No matter what Jostein says, I know I would not lose my faith in God. But I don't want to impose my beliefs on Harini. I want her to know all different views and make her own choice. So, when can I give back the book to her? What would be the right age? 

2 comments:

  1. if you can feed Harini with mythological stories, you can as well tell her that there are some people who believe that the whole universe works on scientific rules and there are no gods.. and some people do believe that there are gods and they are humble to receive everything they get with respect by gods grace..
    so as you said there is nothing good or bad in believing or not believing in god..
    I typically celebrate the festivals so that kids understand our culture..
    In out house, Aniruddha tells kids that god exists and is watching everything..
    i keep mum because i have atheist views.. kids say that god isnt there becuase one of their fast freinds says so.. if they ask me i say i do not know exactly..
    i have come to believe that all mythologies and gods were 'created' so that people follow the laws and rules without questioning back..

    even if you give choice or not, Harini is going to make her own view some or other time.. [my mom tried so much to imbibe all religious practises in me and i turned out to be totally opposite]
    I think let her decide if she wants to read that book now or later..
    but be ready to answer her doubts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vidya that's profound. I really appreciate ur views. And thanks for taking time to share them.
    Time to bring back Sophie's world. I am ready to show all the doors and I am ready to accept whatever door my daughter picks up ☺

    ReplyDelete